Friday, May 13, 2011

oh, disney movies...

Are these princess movies giving me unrealistic expectations about love?  I just finished watching Tangled, and realized that my heart was physically aching during the gondola/lantern scene.  Like....I WANT that.  Even though the rational part of my brain is going, "It's a fucking Disney movie, doofus." the romantic-oh-i-love-love-GAHHH!!! part is going: "yes. that's totally possible.  where's a gondola? how do I get a Chinese lantern to float....hmmm...."
    I think this is my final thought: no, the Disney thing is not possible.  But it is not wrong for me to dream about happily ever after.  in fact, I believe with all my heart that I will get my happy ever after someday.  Maybe not in a gondola....but then again, who knows?  life has a funny way of messing with our hearts.....

1 comment:

  1. Disney movies have, without a doubt, given me unrealistic expectations about love. Losing my fish tail will get me a man? Psh! As if, Ariel. Then again, the entire romantic-comedy genre does women a disservice (if you wait [emphasis on "wait"] your prince will come,) and don't even get me started on the manic pixie dream girl character present in a number of rom-coms. -Essentially, she's a character designed to draw the male protagonist from his pit of despair- Nothing of her life is given any importance in the film whatsoever. Conclusion: in the film industry, it's hard out there for a woman.

    ReplyDelete